The Dodge Durango was introduced into Dodge’s lineup as a full-size SUV in 1998 and remains popular today. The Durango is known for its unique styling and for having the features consumers expect from SUVs, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a 2022 Dodge Durango?
The 2022 Dodge Durango can tow up to 8,700 pounds when properly equipped.
The 2022 Dodge Durango tow capacity can vary based on a few different factors such as engine size, drivetrain, and others which we’ll discuss below.
There’s a bit more to know about Dodge Durango towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
2022 Dodge Durango Towing Capacity
A 2022 Dodge Durango with 3.6L engine and light duty cooling can tow 3,500 pounds.
A 2022 Dodge Durango with 3.6L engine can tow 6,200 pounds.
A 2022 Dodge Durango RWD with 5.7L engine and light duty cooling can tow 7,400 pounds.
A 2022 Dodge Durango AWD with 5.7L engine can tow 7,200 pounds.
A 2022 Dodge Durango AWD R/T with 5.7L engine and the Tow N Go Package can tow 8,700 pounds.
Here’s a video showing the Dodge Durango being put to a real-world towing test:
Refer to the chart below to find how much your 2022 Dodge Durango can tow.
2022 Dodge Durango Towing Chart
2022 Dodge Durango Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Dodge Durango Braked Towing Capacity: up to 8,700 lbs.
Dodge Durango Unbraked Towing Capacity: 3,500 lbs.
2022 Dodge Durango Towing Capacity Factors
There are several factors that affect the 2022 Dodge Durango tow capacity which we’ll cover next.
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
The current generation of the Dodge Durango has two engine options, a 3.6L and a 5.7L.
The 5.7L engine is the option that can tow the max capacity if 8,700 pounds when properly equipped.
RWD vs AWD
Whether or not your Durango was RWD or AWD also affected how much it can tow.
The AWD 2022 Durangos typically have more towing power than the 4WD versions.
Number of Passengers
A big factor in calculating your vehicle’s towing capacity is how many passengers you’re carrying, which directly calculates into the vehicle’s GCWR.
This is true of all vehicles, not just the 2022 Dodge Durango, so always take into consideration the total load of your passengers and gear in addition to what you’re towing.
Towing Equipment Installed
In order to get the max towing capacity of 8,700 lbs from your 2022 Dodge Durango, you’ll need to have the Tow N Go towing package installed.
This includes extra features that allow for additional performance needed to pull heavy loads.
2022 Dodge Durango Tow Package Info
Does The 2022 Dodge Durango Have A Tow Package?
The Durango has an optional factory-installed tow package called the Tow N Go kit, which offers additional towing performance.
Dodge Durango Tow N Go Package
The Dodge Durango R/T Tow N Go Package includes a Class IV trailer hitch, integrated trailer brake controller, and active dampening suspension.
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a 2022 Dodge Durango?
If you plan on towing anything with your Dodge Durango, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
2022 Dodge Durango Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Dodge Durango uses a Class 3, Class 4, or Class 5 hitch.
The Dodge Durango uses a Class 3 or Class 4 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class III Dodge Durango trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 6,000 lbs. gross trailer weight, 600 lbs. tongue weight, 7,500 lbs. weight distribution capacity and 750 lbs. weight distribution tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid A-coat and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays
- EASY TO INSTALL. This hitch offers a custom, factory fit on select model years of the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Durango:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
2022 Dodge Durango Trailer Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Durango, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Dodge Durango trailer hitch installation:
Does My 2022 Dodge Durango Have A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Durango to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Durango.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your Durango has any towing packages or features installed on it.
2022 Dodge Durango Towing Capacity Vs Competitors
The 2022 Dodge Durango has a maximum towing capacity of 8,700, which makes it capable of doing some heavy duty trailer towing. This number is similar to its main competitors, the 2022 Toyota Sequoia and the 2022 Jeep Wagoneer.
Here are some similar vehicles to the Dodge Durango and their towing capacities below:
2022 Chevy Suburban Towing Capacity: 7,800 pounds
2022 Chevrolet Tahoe Towing Capacity: 8,400 pounds
2022 Ford Expedition Towing Capacity: 9,300 pounds
2022 GMC Yukon XL Towing Capacity: 7,800 pounds
2022 Toyota Sequoia Towing Capacity: 9,520 pounds
2022 Nissan Armada Towing Capacity: 8,500 pounds
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Dodge Durango Owner’s Manuals on Dodge’s website and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with your Dodge Durango.