The Kia Seltos was introduced into Kia’s lineup as asubcompact crossover SUV in 2019 and is still in production today. The Seltos is known for its unique styling and for having the features consumers expect from SUVs, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a 2024 Kia Seltos?
The 2024 Kia Seltos has a towing capacity of 2,948 pounds. Kia does not recommend using the Kia Seltos for towing in the US in the owner’s manual.
There’s a bit more to know about Kia Seltos towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
2024 Kia Seltos Towing Capacity
The 2024 Kia Seltos can tow 2,948 lb.
Refer to the chart below to find how much your 2023 Kia Seltos can tow.
|Kia Seltos Trim Level||Towing Capacity|
|LX||2,948 lbs / 1337 kg|
|S||2,948 lbs / 1337 kg|
|X-Line||2,948 lbs / 1337 kg|
|EX||2,948 lbs / 1337 kg|
|SX Turbo||2,948 lbs / 1337 kg|
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle’s towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a video showing the Kia Seltos being put to a real-world towing test:
2024 Kia Seltos Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Kia Seltos Braked Towing Capacity: 2,948 lbs / 1,337 kg
Kia Seltos Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,653 lbs / 750 kg
2024 Kia Seltos Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Kia Seltos tow capacity.
Number of Passengers
A big factor in calculating your vehicle’s towing capacity is how many passengers you’re carrying, which directly calculates into the vehicle’s GCWR.
This is true of all vehicles, not just the Kia Seltos, so always take into consideration the total load of your passengers and gear in addition to what you’re towing.
2024 Kia Seltos Tow Package Info
Does The 2024 Kia Seltos Have A Tow Package?
Kia does not currently offer a tow hitch for the Kia Seltos, so you’ll need to install an aftermarket hitch.
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Kia Seltos?
If you plan on towing anything with your Kia Seltos, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
2024 Kia Seltos Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Kia Seltos uses a Class 1 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class I Kia Seltos trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. With a strong, welded steel build, this class 1 hitch is rated for 2,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 200 lbs. tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- HIGHLY VERSATILE. Add useful, versatile towing options to your vehicle with this class 1 trailer hitch. It provides a standard 1-1/4-inch x 1-1/4-inch receiver hitch, allowing you to tow a small trailer or mount a cargo carrier or bike rack
- DUAL-COAT FINISH. For industry-leading rust, chip and UV resistance inside and out, this aftermarket tow hitch kit is submersed in a liquid A-coat and co-cured with a durable black powder coat finish
- EASY INSTALLATION. This class 1 hitch is designed to factory fit select model years of the Kia Seltos
- TESTED FOR SAFETY. Each CURT class 1 trailer hitch design is thoroughly tested, using real vehicles in real-world conditions. Our hitches are tested to SAE J684 specifications for safety on the road ahead
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Seltos:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
2024 Kia Seltos Trailer Hitch Installation
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Kia Seltos trailer hitch installation:
Kia Seltos Trailer Hitch Installation Cost
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Seltos, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With a Kia Seltos?
The Kia Seltos stock bumper isn’t rated for bumper towing, so you’ll need to install a frame-mounted hitch like the one we listed earlier in this guide or an aftermarket bumper with a hitch ball on it.
How Do I Know If My 2024 Kia Seltos Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Seltos to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Seltos.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Kia Seltos Owner’s Manuals on Kia’s website and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with your Kia Seltos.