The Kia Sportage was introduced into Kia’s lineup as a compact crossover SUV in 1993 and remains available through today. The Sportage is known for its unique styling and for having the features consumers expect from SUVs, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a 2024 Kia Sportage?
The 2024 Kia Sportage has a towing capacity of up to 2,500 pounds depending on the year, if it is 2WD or 4WD, engine size, axle ratio, and if it has an HD cooling package.
There’s a bit more to know about the 2024 Kia Sportage’s towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
2024 Kia Sportage Towing Capacity
The 2024 Kia Sportage can tow between 2,500 pounds.
Refer to the chart below to find how much your 2024 Kia Sportage can tow.
|2024 Kia Sportage Trim Level||Towing Capacity|
|LX||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|EX||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|X-Line AWD||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|SX||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|SX Prestige||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|X-Pro||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
|X-Pro Prestige||2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg|
2024 Kia Sportage Hybrid Towing Capacity
The 2024 Kia Sportage Hybrid can tow 2,000 lbs across all trim levels.
The 2024 Kia Sportage Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PHEV) can tow 2,000 lbs across all trim levels.
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a video showing the Kia Sportage being put to a real-world towing test:
2024 Kia Sportage Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
2024 Kia Sportage Braked Towing Capacity: up to 2,500 lbs / 1,133 kg.
2024 Kia Sportage Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,653 lbs / 750 kg
2024 Kia Sportage Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Kia Sportage tow capacity.
Number of Passengers
A big factor in calculating your vehicle’s towing capacity is how many passengers you’re carrying, which directly calculates into the vehicle’s GCWR.
This is true of all vehicles, not just the Kia Sportage, so always take into consideration the total load of your passengers and gear in addition to what you’re towing.
2024 Kia Sportage Tow Package Info
Does The 2024 Kia Sportage Have A Tow Package?
Kia does not offer a towing package or factory-installed tow hitch on the Sportage, so you’ll need to have one installed.
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a 2024 Kia Sportage?
If you plan on towing anything with your 2024 Kia Sportage, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
2024 Kia Sportage Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Kia Sportage uses a Class 2 or Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class II Kia Sportage trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. With a strong, welded steel build, this class 2 hitch is rated for 3,500 lbs. gross trailer weight and 350 lbs. tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- HIGHLY VERSATILE. This class 2 trailer hitch kit has a standard 1-1/4-inch receiver and includes a ball mount with a 3/4-inch hole, allowing you to tow a small trailer or mount a cargo carrier or bike rack (trailer ball sold separately)
- DUAL-COAT FINISH. For industry-leading rust, chip and UV resistance inside and out, this tow hitch is submersed in a liquid A-coat and co-cured with a durable black powder coat finish
- EASY INSTALLATION. This class 2 hitch kit fits select model years of the Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage
- TESTED FOR SAFETY. Each CURT class 2 trailer hitch design is thoroughly tested at our Detroit facility, using real vehicles in real-world conditions. Our hitches are tested to SAE J684 specs to give you confidence and safety on the road ahead
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Sportage:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
2024 Kia Sportage Trailer Hitch Installation
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Kia Sportage trailer hitch installation:
2024 Kia Sportage Trailer Hitch Installation Cost
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Sportage, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With a Kia Sportage?
The Kia Sportage stock bumper is not rated for bumper towing, so you’ll need to install a frame-mounted hitch like the one we listed earlier in this guide or an aftermarket bumper with a hitch ball on it.
How Do I Know If My 2024 Kia Sportage Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Sportage to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Sportage.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Kia Sportage Owner’s Manuals on Kia’s website and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with your Kia Sportage.