The Acura MDX was introduced in Acura’s lineup as a mid-sized luxury crossover SUV in 2000 and ranks as one of the best-selling vehicles in its class. Acura cars are known for their affordability and the MDX also has the features consumers expect from today’s cars, including towing. But what’s the towing capacity of an Acura MDX?
The Acura MDX has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs for AWD models and 3,500 lbs for 2WD models.
There’s a bit more to know about Acura MDX towing which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Acura MDX Towing Capacity By Year
The Pilot has been in production from 2000 through the present. We’ve listed out the maximum tow capacity by year below for reference.
Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific MDX model year and trim level in the links below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information for that year.
Here’s the maximum Acura MDX towing capacity by year:
2023 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2022 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2021 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2020 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2019 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2018 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2017 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2016 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2015 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2014 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2013 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2012 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2011 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2010 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2009 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2008 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2007 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2006 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2005 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2004 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2003 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2002 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2001 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2000 Acura MDX Tow Capacity: 2,000 pounds
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Acura MDX Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Acura MDX Braked Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.
Acura MDX Unbraked Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.
Acura MDX Towing Capacity Factors
As we covered earlier, the fact of whether your MDX is All-Wheel Drive or not will affect the towing power.
The AWD MDX tow capacity is 5,000 lbs.
The 2WD MDX tow capacity is 3,500 lbs.
Acura MDX Engine Specs
All trim levels of the Acura MDX have a 2.5 Liter 6 Cylinder gas engine that’s paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission .
This engine offers a max 290 horsepower and 267 lb.-ft of torque along with a CVT transmission.
Acura MDX Tow Packages
Does The Acura MDX Have A Tow Package?
Acura offers an MDX Towing Package, which is an easy way to have all the things you’ll need to tow with your MDX ready to go.
The Acura MDX Towing Package includes:
- Trailer Hitch
- Trailer Ball
- 7-Pin Wiring Harness
- Automatic Transmission Cooler
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On an Acura MDX?
If you plan on towing anything with your MDX, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Acura MDX Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Acura MDX fits a Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for an Acura MDX trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 6,000 lbs. gross trailer weight, 900 lbs. tongue weight, 8,000 lbs. weight distribution capacity and 900 lbs. weight distribution tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid A-coat and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays
- EASY TO INSTALL. This hitch offers a custom, factory fit on select model years of the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your MDX:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Acura MDX Tow Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your MDX, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on an Acura MDX trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With Acura MDX?
The Acura MDX does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame-mounted hitch.
How Do I Know If My Acura MDX Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your MDX to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your MDX.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Acura MDX Owner’s Manuals on Acura’s site and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with your Acura MDX.