The Buick Enclave was introduced into Buick’s lineup as a three-row crossover SUV in 2007 and remains popular today. Buick vehicles are known for their distinct styling and for having the features consumers expect from today’s SUVs, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a Buick Enclave?
The Buick Enclave has a towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped.
There’s a bit more to know about Buick Enclave towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Buick Enclave Towing Capacity By Year
The Enclave has been in production from 2008 through the present, so we’ve listed out the maximum tow capacity by year below for reference.
Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific Enclave model year in the links below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information.
Here’s the maximum Buick Enclave towing capacity by year:
2023 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2022 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2021 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2020 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2019 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2018 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2017 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2016 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2015 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2014 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2013 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2012 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2011 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2010 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2009 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
2008 Buick Enclave Tow Capacity: 4,500 pounds
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a video showing the Buick Enclave’s towing hooks which highlight it’s towing ability:
Buick Enclave Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Buick Enclave Braked Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.
Buick Enclave Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,500 lbs.
Buick Enclave Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Buick Enclave tow capacity.
The Enclave’s tow capability varied a bit by year and generation.
Some years had a max towing capability of 1,500 pounds without the trailering package, while earlier years could pull 2,000 pounds without the trailering package.
Same for with the trailering package: newer models can pull 5,000 pounds, while older ones are limited to 4,500 pounds.
The main determining factor in how much weight an Enclave can tow is whether or not it has the V92 trailering package installed.
This can make a difference of up to 2,000 pounds in Enclave towing capability!
Buick Enclave Engine Specs
There is one engine option for the most recent generation Buick Enclave.
Buick Enclave 3.6L V-6 Gas Engine
The Buick Enclave gas engine is a 3.6 Liter V-6 engine paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission
This engine produces 310 horsepower and 266 lb.-ft of torque.
Buick Enclave Tow Package Info
Does The Buick Enclave Have A Tow Package?
Buick offers a factory-installed tow package called the V92 Trailering Package.
The Buick Enclave V92 Trailering Package includes the following:
- Class III Trailer Hitch
- Heavy-duty engine cooling system
- Tow/Haul Mode
- Hitch Guidance with Hitch View
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Buick Enclave?
If you plan on towing anything with your Buick Enclave, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Buick Enclave Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Buick Enclave uses a Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class III Buick Enclave trailer hitch:
- Round Tube Max-Frame receivers are designed for trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles
- 2" Square Receiver Tube Opening
- Rated Weight Carrying Capacity 5000 pounds (GTW), Weight Distributing Capacity 7500 pounds (GTW)
- All-Frame Attachment, Solid All-Welded Construction, with A-Coat Base with Black Powder Coat Finish
- Custom Built According to Manufacturer and Model Year Ensures Perfect Fit and Top Towing Performance
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Enclave:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Buick Enclave Trailer Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Enclave, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Buick Enclave trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With a Buick Enclave?
The Buick Enclave does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame mounted hitch.
How Do I Know If My Buick Enclave Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Enclave to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Enclave.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Buick Enclave Owner’s Manuals on Buick’s site and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.