The Cadillac DeVille was introduced in Cadillac’s lineup as full size sedan as early as 1959 and remained an iconic vehicle until it’s final year in 2005. Cadillacs are known for their luxury styling and the DeVille also has the features consumers expect from today’s cars, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a Cadillac DeVille?
The Cadillac DeVille has a towing capacity of 2,000 pounds.
There’s a bit more to know about Cadillac DeVille towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
2005 Cadillac DeVille Towing Capacity
As we covered earlier, the Cadillac DeVille can tow a maximum of 2,000 lbs when properly equipped.
|Cadillac DeVille Trim Level||Engine||Axle Ratio||Horsepower||Torque||Towing Capacity|
|DHS||4.6L V8||3.11||275 hp||300 lb.-ft||2,000 lbs / 907 kg|
|DTS||4.6L V8||3.8471||290 hp||285 lb.-ft||2,000 lbs / 907 kg|
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Cadillac DeVille Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Cadillac DeVille Braked Towing Capacity: 2,000 lbs.
Cadillac DeVille Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,500 lbs.
Cadillac DeVille Tow Capacity Factors
As we covered earlier, the fact of whether your Cadillac DeVille is of a certain trim level will not affect the max towing capability.
Cadillac DeVille Engine Specs
The DeVille DHS has a 4.6 Liter 8 cylinder gas engine that offers a max 290 horsepower and 300 lb.-ft of torque.
The DeVille DTS has a 4.6 Liter 8 cylinder gas engine that offers a max 275 horsepower and 285 lb.-ft of torque.
Cadillac DeVille Tow Packages
Does The Cadillac DeVille Have A Tow Package?
Cadillac did not offer a towing package or factory-installed tow hitch for the DeVille, so you’ll need to install one yourself.
You’ll also need to install a wiring harness that allows the trailer’s brake lights and turning signals to light up in sync with your vehicle.
You’ll need a 4-pin harness if you plan on towing a light trailer (1,500 lbs or under), or a 7-pin harness if you are towing a heavier trailer with trailer brakes.
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Cadillac DeVille?
If you plan on towing anything with your Cadillac DeVille, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Cadillac DeVille Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Cadillac DeVille fits a Class 2 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Cadillac DeVille trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. With a strong, welded steel build, this class 2 hitch package is rated for 3,500 lbs. gross trailer weight and 350 lbs. tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- HIGHLY VERSATILE. Add useful, versatile towing options to your vehicle with this class 2 trailer hitch. It provides a standard 1-1/4-inch x 1-1/4-inch receiver hitch, allowing you to tow a small trailer or mount a cargo carrier or bike rack
- DUAL-COAT FINISH. For industry-leading rust, chip and UV resistance inside and out, this automotive tow hitch is submersed in a liquid A-coat and co-cured with a durable black powder coat finish
- EASY INSTALLATION. This class 2 hitch fits select model years of the Cadillac DeVille and DTS
- TESTED FOR SAFETY. Each CURT class 2 trailer hitch design is thoroughly tested at our Detroit facility, using real vehicles in real-world conditions. Our hitches are tested to SAE J684 specs to give you confidence and safety on the road ahead
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your DeVille:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Cadillac DeVille Tow Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your DeVille, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Cadillac DeVille trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With A Cadillac DeVille?
The Cadillac DeVille does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame-mounted hitch.
How Do I Know If My Cadillac DeVille Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your DeVille to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your DeVille.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
1989-2004 Cadillac DeVille Towing Capacity
The 1989-2004 Cadillac DeVille had the same 2,000 pound towing capacity across all trim levels, same as the 2005.
|Cadillac DeVille Year & Trim Level||Maximum Braked Towing Capacity||Maximum Unbraked Towing Capacity|
|All||2,000 lbs / 907 kg||1,500 lbs / 680 kg|