The Palisade was introduced to Hyundai’s lineup as the largest family SUV offered by the brand in 2020, and has been selling well ever since. Hyundais are known for their reliability and the Palisade also adds the capabilities of larger SUVs, including towing. But how much can a Hyundai Palisade tow?
The Hyundai Palisade towing capacity is 5,000 lbs. for all model years and trim levels.
There’s a bit more to know about Hyundai Palisade towing which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Hyundai Palisade Towing Capacity By Year (2020-2023)
As we mentioned, the Hyundai Palisade can tow a maximum of 5,000 lbs.
The Palisade has been in production from 2020 through the present. We’ve listed out the maximum tow capacity by year below for reference.
Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific Palisade model year and trim level in the links below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information for that year.
Here’s the maximum Hyundai Palisade towing capacity by year:
2023 Hyundai Palisade Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2022 Hyundai Palisade Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2021 Hyundai Palisade Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2020 Hyundai Palisade Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
Check out this review video that touches on the Hyundai Palisade’s towing capabilities:
Hyundai Palisade Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Hyundai Palisade Braked Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.
Hyundai Palisade Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,650 lbs.
Hyundai Palisade Towing Capacity Factors
Because the Hyundai Palisade offers max towing on all trim levels, you don’t need to worry about engine specs or different towing packages based on what version of the model you have.
Hyundai Palisade Engine Specs
The Palisade offers a 3.8L GDI V6 engine on all trim levels.
This engine offers a max 291 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft of torque along with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Hyundai Palisade Tow Packages
Does The Hyundai Palisade Have A Tow Package?
The Palisade doesn’t automatically come with a tow hitch installed, so you’ll need to select an option when ordering one, or install one yourself after taking delivery.
Hyundai offers two separate towing packages on the Palisade: the Tow Package and the Trailer Prep package.
In addition to these, all Hyundai Palisade trim levels come with the following towing-related features:
- Trailer sway control
- Lane keep assist
- Driver attention warning
- Motor-driven power steering
- Vehicle stability management
- Downhill brake control (standard on Calligraphy trim level)
- Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (standard on SEL and Limited trim levels)
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (standard on SEL and Limited trim levels)
Although the tow package and trailer prep package terms are used interchangeably, they are two totally different things. We’ll explain this now.
Hyundai Palisade Tow Package
The tow package refers strictly to the visible equipment pieces that are necessary for towing with your Palisade.
The trailer tow package adds the following items to your Palisade:
- Class 3 receiver hitch
- Trailer wiring harness (4 pin or 7 pin adapter)
- Trailer hitch ball mount kit (optional)
It’s important to note that the tow package does not increase the Hyundai Palisade’s towing capacity at all, it simply offers the hardware needed to tow something.
Starting in mid-2021, most Hyundai Palisades started coming with seven-pin wiring harnesses standard.
This is important because 7-pin connections allow you to tow heavier trailers that use trailer brakes.
Most trailers weighing over 3,000 lbs are required by state law to have a brake controller and trailer brakes, so you’ll need that 7-pin connector.
Hyundai Palisade Trailer Prep Package
The Palisade trailer prep package focuses on improving the vehicle’s internal components to make it better prepared for towing.
The trailer prep package features include:
- Upgraded suspension
- Stronger springs and shocks
- Improved rear brakes
Hyundai Palisade Towing: What Do I Need?
If you plan on towing anything with your Palisade, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Hyundai Palisade Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Hyundai Palisade uses a Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Hyundai Palisade tow hitch:
- 2 in. Square Receiver Tube Opening
- Rated Up To 5,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) And Up To 500 lbs. Tongue Weight (TW)
- Suitable For Use With Weight Distribution Hitch Up To 6,000 lbs. Weight Distribution (WD) And 750 lbs. Weight Distribution Tongue Weight (WDTW)
- All Hitches Are Designed For Customers With Trucks, Vans, And Sport Utility Vehicles
- Clean Appearance That Attaches To The Vehicle's Frame And/Or Bumper
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Palisade:
- Product 1: HIGHLY VERSATILE. Adapt your trailer hitch to any towing situation with the highly versatile and easily adjustable design of this adjustable ball mount. The channel-style shank can be flipped to provide up to a 6-inch drop or 5-1/4-inch rise.
- Product 1: SMOOTH TOWING. For a smoother, quieter ride while towing your trailer, this adjustable drop hitch comes with a built-in anti-rattle feature, deterring vibrations, chucking and rattling at the coupling point.
- Product 1: POWERFUL BUILD. Constructed from high-strength steel, this adjustable hitch ball mount is ready to work. The 2-inch ball is rated for a capacity of 10,000 lbs., and the 2-5/16-inch ball for 14,000 lbs.
- Product 1: PRECISE FIT. This adjustable ball hitch comes with a standard shank to fit virtually any standard 2-inch x 2-inch trailer hitch receiver. It's perfect for most class 3, class 4 and class 5 hitches.
- Product 2: DEPENDABLE SECURITY. To protect your trailer and trailer hitch ball mount from theft, this locking hitch pin is made with high-strength steel construction.
Hyundai Palisade Tow Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a hitch added to your Palisade, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow hitch professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Hyundai Palisade trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With Hyundai Palisade?
The Hyundai Palisade does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame-mounted hitch.
How Can I Tell If My Hyundai Palisade Has A Tow Package Installed?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Palisade to see if you see a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow package already installed on your vehicle.
But there’s more to it than simply looking!
Once you confirm the presence of a tow hitch, you need to determine other factors that affect your towing, like an enhanced alternator, transmission cooling package, or other features.
You can research this by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Hyundai Palisade Owner’s Manuals on Hyundai’s site and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with a 2023 Hyundai Palisade.
Hyundai Palisade Tow Capacity FAQs
All year and trim levels of the Hyundai Palisade have a max towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.
The Hyundai Palisade’s ability to pull up to 5,000 pounds makes it a good all-around tow vehicle that’s capable of meeting most average people’s needs.
This towing capability allows the Palisade to easily pull most small and mid-sized trailers.