The Telluride was introduced into Kia’s lineup as a mid-size crossover SUV and remains one of the most popular in its class today. Kia vehicles are known for their affordability and for having the features consumers expect from today’s vehicles, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a Kia Telluride?
The Kia Telluride has a towing capacity of 5,500 pounds.
There’s a bit more to know about Kia Telluride towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Kia Telluride Towing Capacity By Year
As we covered earlier, the current Kia Telluride can tow a maximum of 5,500 lbs when properly equipped.
The Telluride has been in production from 2020 through the present. We’ve listed out the maximum tow capacity by year below for reference.
Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific Telluride model year and trim level in the links below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information for that year.
Here’s the maximum Kia Telluride towing capacity by year:
2023 Kia Telluride Tow Capacity: 5,500 pounds
2022 Kia Telluride Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2021 Kia Telluride Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2020 Kia Telluride Tow Capacity: 5,000 pounds
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a video showing the Kia Telluride being put to a real-world off-road and towing test:
Kia Telluride Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Kia Telluride Braked Towing Cap: 5,000 lbs – 5,500 lbs.
Kia Telluride Unbraked Towing Cap: 1,500 lbs.
Kia Telluride Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Kia Telluride tow capacity.
Kia’s trim levels vary, with many trim levels having access to the same engine size.
Traditionally, all model years and trim levels of the Kia Telluride have had a max tow capacity of 5,000 pounds.
This changes with the 2023 model year, as the Kia Telluride X-Pro trim level will be able to pull up to 5,500 pounds.
Kia Telluride Engine Specs
All model years and trims of the Kia Telluride have the same engine.
3.8 Liter V6 Engine
The only Kia Telluride engine offered is the 3.8 Liter six-cylinder engine.
This engine produces 291 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft of torque.
Kia Telluride Tow Package Info
Does The Kia Telluride Have A Tow Package?
Kia offers a factory-installed Telluride tow package option.
It is available on most trim levels and includes the following enhancements:
- Kia Telluride factory Class III trailer hitch
- 4-pin and 7-pin harness and connector
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Kia Telluride?
If you plan on towing anything with your Kia Telluride, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Kia Telluride Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Kia Telluride uses a Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class III Kia Telluride trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. gross trailer weight, 750 lbs. tongue weight, 6,000 lbs. weight distribution capacity and 750 lbs. weight distribution tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid A-coat and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays
- EASY TO INSTALL. This hitch offers a custom, factory fit on select model years of the Kia Telluride
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Telluride:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Kia Telluride Tow Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Telluride, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Kia Telluride trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With A Kia Telluride?
The Kia Telluride does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame mounted hitch.
How Do I Know If My Kia Telluride Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Telluride to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Telluride.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Kia Telluride Owner’s Manuals on Kia’s site and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with a 2023 Kia Telluride.