The Toyota FJ Cruiser was introduced into Toyota’s lineup as a mid-size SUV in 2007 and was discontinued after the 2014 model year. The FJ Cruiser is known for its unique styling and for having the features consumers expect from SUVs, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
The Toyota FJ Cruiser has a towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds depending on the model year.
There’s a bit more to know about Toyota FJ Cruiser towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity By Year
The 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser can tow between 4,700 pounds and 5,000 pounds depending on the model year.
The FJ Cruiser was made from 2007 to 2014. Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific FJ Cruiser model year below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information.
Here’s the maximum Toyota FJ Cruiser tow rating by year:
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 4,700 pounds
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 4,700 pounds
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 4,700 pounds
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 5,000 pounds
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity: 5,000 pounds
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a video showing the Toyota FJ Cruiser being put to a real-world towing test:
Toyota FJ Cruiser Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Braked Tow Capacity: up to 5,000 lbs.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Unbraked Tow Capacity: 1,000 lbs
Toyota FJ Cruiser Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Toyota FJ Cruiser tow capacity.
The FJ Cruiser’s tow capability varied a little by year and generation.
The early model years had a max towing capability of 5,000 lbs, while the later models can only tow up to 4,700 pounds.
Number of Passengers
A big factor in calculating your vehicle’s towing capacity is how many passengers you’re carrying, which directly calculates into the vehicle’s GCWR.
This is true of all vehicles, not just the Toyota FJ Cruiser, so always take into consideration the total load of your passengers and gear in addition to what you’re towing.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Tow Package Info
Does The Toyota FJ Cruiser Have A Tow Package?
Toyota offers a FJ Cruiser towing package which includes the following:
- Class II Hitch Receiver
- 4-Pin Wiring Harness
FJ Cruiser owners have added on additional items like a transmission cooler themselves, which you can check through in this FJ Cruiser Transmission Cooler DIY Walkthrough.
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
If you plan on towing anything with your Toyota FJ Cruiser, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Toyota FJ Cruiser Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Toyota FJ Cruiser can use a Class 2 or Class 3 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class III Toyota FJ Cruiser trailer hitch:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. gross trailer weight, 500 lbs. tongue weight, 6,000 lbs. weight distribution capacity and 600 lbs. weight distribution tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid A-coat and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays
- EASY TO INSTALL. This hitch offers a custom, factory fit on select model years of the Toyota FJ Cruiser
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your FJ Cruiser:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Toyota FJ Cruiser Trailer Hitch Installation
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Toyota FJ Cruiser trailer hitch installation:
Toyota FJ Cruiser Trailer Hitch Installation Cost
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your FJ Cruiser, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
The Toyota FJ Cruiser stock bumper is not rated for bumper towing, so you’ll need to install a frame-mounted hitch like the one we listed earlier in this guide or an aftermarket bumper with a hitch ball on it.
How Do I Know If My Toyota FJ Cruiser Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your FJ Cruiser to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your FJ Cruiser.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner’s Manuals on Toyota’s website and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with your Toyota FJ Cruiser.