The Toyota Sienna was introduced into Toyota’s lineup as a minivan in 1997 and remains one of the most popular minivans available today. Toyotass are known for their reliability and for having the features consumers expect from today’s vehicles, including towing. But what is the towing capacity of a Toyota Sienna?
The Toyota Sienna has a towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.
There’s a bit more to know about Toyota Sienna towing capabilities which we’ll cover in today’s guide.
Toyota Sienna Towing Capacity By Year
As we covered earlier, the current 2023 Toyota Sienna can tow a maximum of 3,500 lbs.
The Highlander has been in production since 1998, and we’ve listed out the maximum tow capacity by year below for reference.
Note that for each model year, there are many variables that affect the total towing capability of each vehicle year, so we recommend checking your specific Sienna model year below for an in-depth guide and to get the most accurate information.
Here’s the maximum Toyota Sienna towing capacity by year:
2023 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2022 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2021 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2020 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2019 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2018 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2017 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2016 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2015 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2014 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2013 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2012 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2011 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2010 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2009 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2008 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2007 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2006 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2005 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2004 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2003 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2002 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2001 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
2000 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
1999 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
1998 Toyota Sienna Tow Capacity: 3,500 pounds
You can also read our guide on what makes a vehicle towing capacity to learn all the aspects that go into it.
Here’s a review video showing the 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid in action:
Toyota Sienna Braked Vs. Unbraked Towing Capacity
All vehicles have different towing capacities based on whether or not you’re towing a trailer that has trailer brakes installed.
Trailer brakes allow the trailer to stop faster than if only the vehicle is using its brakes, allowing the vehicle to tow more weight, so braked towing capacity will always be higher than unbraked towing capacity.
Toyota Sienna Braked Towing Capacity: 3,500 lbs.
Toyota Sienna Unbraked Towing Capacity: 1,000 lbs.
Toyota Sienna Towing Capacity Factors
There are a few factors that affect the Toyota Sienna tow capacity.
The Sienna’s tow capability varied a bit by year and generation.
The towing cap of the Toyota Sienna stayed steady across all years at a maximum of 3,500 pounds, but the minimum changed a bit for a few model years in the middle of the production history.
For most model years, the Toyota Sienna owner’s manuals specified that you could only tow the maximum of 3,500 pounds if you had a towing package installed.
Toyota Sienna Engine Specs
Toyota offers a hybrid engine in all trim levels of the Toyota Sienna since 2021.
2.5 Liter 4-Cylinder Engine
The current Toyota Sienna engine is a 2.5 Liter 4-Cylinder gas engine paired with two electric motors.
This engine produces 245 horsepower and 176 lb.-ft of torque.
Toyota Sienna Tow Package Info
Does The Toyota Sienna Have A Tow Package?
Toyota offers a factory-installed Toyota Sienna trailer hitch.
The Toyota Sienna tow package includes the following:
- Toyota Sienna factory Class II receiver trailer hitch
- Wiring harness
Toyota also sells the following Sienna towing accessories separately:
- Trailer ball mount
- Trailer ball
Can You Install A Trailer Hitch On a Toyota Sienna?
If you plan on towing anything with your Toyota Sienna, you’ll need a tow hitch and wiring harness.
Depending on what you’re towing, you’re going to need a ball mount (aka a trailer ball hitch) so you can attach items for towing.
Make sure to get the right trailer ball size that matches your hitch and trailer.
Toyota Sienna Tow Hitch
Trailer hitches come in different hitch classes, which are rated for different vehicle sizes and weight limits.
The Toyota Sienna uses a Class 2 hitch.
Here’s a great option for a Class II Toyota Sienna trailer hitch:
- Designed to complement today's trucks, vans and Sport utility vehicles, attach directly to the frame with no drilling or welding necessary
- 2 inch square receiver tube opening and solid all-welded Construction for maximum strength and durability
- The A-Coat base with Black powder coat finish is resistant to adverse weather conditions and corrosion, ensures an attractive appearance for years to come
- Computer-aided design and fatigue stress tested to ensure perfect fit and top towing performance, backed by draw-tite's nationwide limited lifetime warranty
- Rated at 525/3, 500 lbs. (Tw/GTW) weight carrying (WC) and 525/3, 500 lbs. (Tw/GTW) weight distributing (WD), always consult your vehicle's Owner's manual for actual weight capacities
Here’s a great ball mount option so you can hook up different types of trailers for towing with your Sienna:
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. Rated to tow 3,500 pounds gross trailer weight and 350 pounds tongue weight, this ball hitch offers dependability for your towing setup (weight capacity may change if trailer ball is removed).Fit Type: Universal Fit
- VERSATILE USE. This trailer hitch ball mount comes with a 1-1/4-inch shank to fit virtually any industry-standard 1-1/4-inch receiver. The ball mount has a 3-1/4-inch drop, 2-inch diameter ball, 1/2-inch hitch pin hole and 7-1/4-inch overall length
- READY TO TOW. Hitching up your trailer is easy with this ready-to-use trailer hitch ball mount. It comes with a pre-attached tow ball for ready coupling and a trailer hitch pin to securely mount onto your hitch receiver
- CORROSION-RESISTANT. For long-lasting use, this ball hitch is protected with a durable black powder coat finish, and the trailer ball has a polished chrome plating. These finishes resist damage from rain, dirt, road salt and other corrosive threats
- EASY TO INSTALL. To install the trailer hitch ball mount on your vehicle, simply insert the shank into your vehicle's 1-1/4-inch hitch receiver. The rounded shank makes installation easy
Toyota Sienna Trailer Hitch Installation
If you’re considering having a tow hitch added to your Sienna, expect to pay between $100 and $200 to have a tow package professionally installed (excluding the cost of the tow hitch and wiring harness).
If you’re handy and looking to save money, you can install the trailer hitch and wiring harness yourself.
Always follow the manufacturer’s directions and use proper safety precautions.
Here’s a great video walkthrough on a Toyota Sienna trailer hitch installation:
Hitch Receiver Vs Rear Step Bumper Towing
Some vehicles allow for bumper towing, which means you can mount a tow hitch ball directly on the bumper instead of installing a tow hitch to the vehicle’s frame.
Can I Bumper Tow With A Toyota Sienna?
The Toyota Sienna does not allow for bumper towing, so you’ll need to use a frame mounted hitch.
How Do I Know If My Toyota Sienna Has A Tow Package?
You can start by looking under the rear bumper of your Sienna to see if you notice a trailer hitch or trailer ball.
That will give you a good indication of if you have a tow hitch already installed on your Sienna.
Another way to research this is by checking the paperwork that came with your vehicle or taking it to a local dealer to see what’s installed.
Make sure to have your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) handy if you call the dealer so they can look up the exact specs and whether or not your vehicle has any towing packages or features installed on it.
We’ve gathered all data represented here from the official Toyota Sienna Owner’s Manuals on Toyota’s site and have checked all data thoroughly for accuracy.
Having said that, we still recommend you refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual yourself before towing with a 2019 Toyota Sienna.